Temporary Road and Footpath Applications
Applications for the temporary closure of a road or footpath are displayed below under three tabs:
- Open Applications - Applications currently open for community feedback;
- Active Applications - Applications in progress but not currently inviting community feedback; and
- Closed Applications - Recently completed applications available for reference.
Riverbank Christmas Light Event - Temporary Occupation of River Torrens Linear Park (footpath)
Council has received a request from Lion Beer Spirits & Wine Pty Ltd for authorisations and approvals for the following public space occupation:
- Closure of River Torrens Linear Park Trail (footpath) at Adam Street (riverbank side between Manton Street and Port Road, Hindmarsh) from 29 November 2021 to 2 January 2022 (6.30PM to 11.30PM only)
Authorisation and approvals are requested for the purpose of erecting temporary fencing which will close the footpath during the above dates and time. This allows facilitation of one-way pedestrian traffic flow as part of the COVID management of the Riverbank Christmas Lights event.
Pedestrians and cyclists wishing to utilise this section of the River Torrens Linear Park Trail for access to and from the City will be detoured via the Holland Street Bridge and Phillips Street. The detour will meet up with the River Torrens Linear Park Trail at Bonython Park. Detours will only be in place from 6.30PM to 11.30PM with relevant traffic management signage in place.
A copy of the proposed Site Plan is provided below.
Comments must be received by 5.00PM on 6 October 2021 via the Feedback Form.
Manton Street, Hindmarsh - Public Space Occupation (Footpath Closure) - Coopers Stadium Upgrade
Council has received a request from Traffic Group Australia for authorisations and approvals for the following Public Space Occupation as part of the Coopers Stadium upgrade:
- Closure of footpath at Manton Street, Hindmarsh, in front of Gate 10 at Coopers Stadium (opposite Mary Street and Milner Street, Hindmarsh) for 16 months from September 2021 to December 2022
The purpose of the footpath closure is to facilitate a safe construction site for both pedestrians and onsite workers which will include concrete barriers to close the footpath.
Pedestrians will be diverted to the opposite side of Manton Street at designated crossings near Mary Street and Milner Street, Hindmarsh.
A copy of the proposed Traffic Management Plans and site plans are attached below. A copy is also available via the following link: https://www.yoursaycharlessturt.com.au/download_file/view/2312/1113
Comments must be received by 5.00pm on 23 September 2021 via the Feedback Form.
Permits have been approved and issued commencing Monday 16 August 2021 (following revised application)
Notice of Application for Second Street, Bowden – Public Space Occupation
Hindmarsh Construction Pty Ltd - Nightingale Bowden (Lot 9009)
Council has received a request from Hindmarsh Construction Pty Ltd for authorisations and approvals for road closures and public space occupation at the following locations from July 2021 to July 2022 for the purpose of constructing ‘Nightingale Bowden’ (Lot 9009 Second Street, Bowden):
- Closure of Second Street, Bowden (between Drayton Street and Laneway at Lot 70007)
- Occupation of Road Station Plaza (Lot 9502 between Outer Harbour Greenway and Second Street)
- Closure of Outer Harbor Greenway between Drayton Street and Station Place Footbridge
Hindmarsh Construction Pty Ltd will be commencing construction of ‘Nightingale Bowden’ on behalf of community housing provider Housing Choices and developer Nightingale Housing. The project will provide 34 high-quality residential apartments (with 75% allocated to affordable housing) and 125sqm commercial space, the building will consist of a mezzanine level for commercial area and 5 storeys of apartments with a rooftop terrace. The structure envelope is predominately precast concrete with the building designed to meet a minimum 5 Star Green Rating.
The purpose of the proposed road closures and public space occupation is to facilitate a safe construction site for both passers-by and onsite workers which will include:
- Fencing and hoarding onsite
- Dedicated building site access
- Crane and concrete truck set up
- Waste management
- Designated space for deliveries
- Designated thoroughfare from adjoining Renewal SA land at Lot 6005 (which will be used as builder’s compound) to construction site
We consulted with local residents, business owners and key stakeholders in July 2021 for a period of 3 weeks seeking views on the application to occupy public space at the above locations from July 2021 to July 2022.
Some of the key feedback included:
- An alternative solution such as a gantry/pedestrian tunnel should be erected over the OHG
- The OHG closure period is too long
- Safety concerns with the OHG detour being shared with Heavy Vehicles
Council has continued discussions with the Applicant resulting in the following revised application which Council has now approved.
- Closure of Second Street, Bowden (between Drayton Street and Laneway at Lot 70007)
August 2021 to July 2022
- Closure of Road Station Plaza (Lot 9502 between OHG and Second Street)
August 2021 – July 2022
- Closure of OHG between Drayton Street and Station Place Footbridge
August 2021 to March 2022
- OHG partially reopened to 2m wide (retaining 2-way access at reduced speed for OHG users)
March 2022 to July 2022
The revised application includes the following amendments with revised Site Plans and Traffic Management Plans provided below:
Revised Site Plan: https://www.yoursaycharlessturt.com.au/download_file/view/2253/1113
Heavy Vehicle Route: https://www.yoursaycharlessturt.com.au/download_file/view/2252/1113
The heave vehicle route has been amended and will now occur via Port Road, Gibson Street, Karra Tapa Laneway and Second Street, Bowden for heavy vehicles entering and exiting the site.
OHG closure and detour: https://www.yoursaycharlessturt.com.au/download_file/view/2251/1113
The OHG closure has been revised to a 8 month period from August 2021 to March 2022 (previously 12 month closure proposed). The detour in place during the closure will see pedestrians and cyclists utilize Drayton Street, Third Street and Gibson Street. During this closure period significant excavation and benching will be undertaken to facilitate the foundations and perimeter retaining wall which abuts the OHG. Significant structure works will also be undertaken including the installation of façade precast concrete wall panels (weighing 10t each), therefore requiring the OHG to be a total public exclusion zone. A gantry/pedestrian tunnel cannot be supported as an alternative to closing the OHG due to these construction works and the significant safety risks should the OHG remain open.
OHG partial reopening: https://www.yoursaycharlessturt.com.au/download_file/view/2250/1113
In April 2022 the OHG will reopen to a width of a 2m, still allowing for 2-way use by pedestrians and cyclists (at reduced speed). It is anticipated that construction will be completed in July 2022 with the OHG reopened fully.
SUPERSEDED SITE & TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT PLANS
Standard Truck Route (for vehicles larger than MRV)
Alternative Truck Route (when Second Street unavailable to traffic)
Pedestrian and Bicycle Users Detour
Permits have been approved and issued
Fourth Street, Bowden – ‘Single Day’ Road Closures and Public Space Occupation
Council has received a request from Buildtec Pty Ltd for authorisations and approvals for public space occupation along a portion of Fourth and Gibson Streets, Bowden for the purpose of completing the final stages of “On Park West” (OPW).
OPW is located on the corner of Fourth Street and Gibson Street, Bowden with the final stages of construction anticipated to be completed December 2021.
By way of background, Buildtec Pty Ltd had a recent public space occupation permit in place which allowed for the occupation of the footpath and parking bays along Fourth Street and Gibson Street to erect hoarding/temporary fencing. They also had a permit in place for the closure of a 50m length of Fourth Street, Bowden (at the Gibson Street end) to position a large crane truck and other construction materials.
As OPW nears completion, Buildtec are seeking authorisations and approvals to vary their site plan in relation public space occupation as detailed below:
1. Hoarding on Gibson Street and Fourth Street, Bowden
- Portion of Fourth Street (52m) and Gibson Street (44m) footpath and adjoining parking bays, therefore reopening Fourth Street to vehicles.
- 6-month period commencing July to December 2021.
- Occupation for the purpose of providing building access and placement of construction equipment/materials.
- Traffic management signs will be in place diverting pedestrians to the opposite side of Fourth Street and Gibson Street.
- Traffic will be reduced to 25km.
2 .30 ‘single day’ road closures of Fourth Street, Bowden
- 30 ‘single day’ closures of Fourth Street (80m approx.) over a 6-month period commencing July to December 2021.
- ‘Single day’ closure from 7AM to 7PM.
- Consecutive ‘single day’ closures may be approved by Council however will require re-opening at the end of each day.
- Occupation for the purpose of crane lifts to the roof for material access, large boom to complete external painting, sunhoods and fins and erection of canopy steelwork (where work cannot be done from behind existing hoarding).
A copy of the proposed Traffic Management Plans are attached below.
Comments must be received by 5.00pm on 26 July 2021 via www.yoursaycharlessturt.com.au, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once feedback is received a decision relating to the Application will be uploaded to the Temporary Road and Footpath Closures Applications page at www.yoursaycharlessturt.com.au.
Hoarding Layout and Associated Traffic Management Plan
'Single day' road closure of Fourth Street, Bowden Traffic Management Plan
Permit has been approved and issued.
Temporary Road Closure and Public Space Occupation - Plane Way, Brompton
Council has received an application from Dominion Homes Australia Pty Ltd for the temporary closure to all vehicular traffic of a portion of Plane Way (behind 53 Torrens Road, Brompton) for the purpose of construction of private dwellings at 53 Torrens Road.Pedestrian access will be available through Plane Way adjacent the closure.
Details of the application are provided below:
- Approximately 10 metres of roadway (totalling 15m2; Picton Street to a point 10m northwest of Picton Street) will be closed for a 5 month period from June 2021 to October 2021.
- Occupation will include hoarding for the purpose of a builders compound, site access and storage of construction materials.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times.
- Traffic management signs will be installed with vehicle detours available via Picton Street and East Street, Brompton.
- Residents with rear access along Plane Way will retain access given the road closure will be in place at the rear of 53 Torrens Road, Brompton only. Detours will be available via East Street and Picton Street.
Comments must be received by 5.00pm on 3 June 2021 via www.yoursaycharlessturt.com.au, or email to email@example.com
We invite your feedback
Written community comment in relation to an open application is invited by the due date associated with that application.
To have your say, you can provide comment by the due date for that application, using one of the following three methods:
- Complete our online Feedback Form (located on this page); or
- Provide a written submission via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to refer to the application you are commenting on; or
- Provide a written submission via post to Catherine Blackmore, Administration Support Officer (Public Health & Safety), 72 Woodville Road, Woodville, SA 5011. Remember to refer to the application you are commenting on.
Once the consultation period has been completed, feedback will be considered and a decision will be made. Decisions will be displayed under Closed Applications for a period of time.