What is the hard waste service?

The City of Charles Sturt currently provides an annual hard waste service, where residents are invited to place bulky wastes on the kerbside verge for collection on a scheduled date.

This service is for household waste that does not fit into wheelie bins, and is not hazardous.

A list of wastes that are and are not accepted in the kerbside hard waste service, along with more information on how to use the existing, is available on Council’s public website here

Why is Council reviewing its hard waste service?

Council’s current hard waste collection contract is due to conclude in early 2018.

Before Council enters into its next contract, it is reviewing the service to ensure that it continues to meet our community’s needs and expectations, and to identify any improvements.

Is Council considering removing the hard waste service altogether?


While there is no legal obligation to provide a hard waste service, Council is committed to doing so. This review is focussed on identifying ways to improve the service. 

What hard waste options are being considered?

Council is considering a range of hard waste collection models.

Option 1: Annual Hard Waste Service

This would be no change to the current service standard. The Hard waste service would occur once a year on a City-wide basis. You are told when to put your waste out and it is picked up on a ward by ward basis. *This is the current service in the City of Charles Sturt.

Option 2: At-call Hard Waste Service

When you have hard waste items that need collecting, you call Council and make a time for it to be picked up. You would have the option of up to 2 free collections per year.

In most cases, your waste will be collected within six weeks from the day you book it in.

Option 3: At-call service with dump voucher option

As with option 2, you are allowed 2 free hard waste services per year, which you book in as you need them. You also have the additional flexibility to access one or both of your services as a dump voucher, instead of a kerbside hard waste pick-up.

The dump voucher would be non-transferable but will allow residents who don’t want to wait for a booked collection (which can take up to 6 weeks) to dispose of their waste sooner.

Your dump voucher would be mailed to you, and you would hand it over at the gate of the Beverley Waste and Recycling Centre, and dump for free.

Will the 2016 hard waste service still go ahead as usual?

Whichever way we go, we will ensure there is no interruption to your hard waste service.

If no change is made, the 2016 and future hard waste services will continue in the usual manner.

If Council opts to change to an at-call service, this could roll out in either of 2016 or 2017.

If the change is being deferred until 2017, the 2016 hard waste service will still take place as per usual, with no interruptions.

Will these changes cost the ratepayer more?


All 3 options can be delivered within the constraints of the current hard waste budget, free of charge to residents.

Residents who have used their hard waste services for the year and have additional waste for disposal will need to take it to the Beverley Recycling and Waste Centre for disposal, or make their own private arrangements.

How long would I typically wait for an at-call service?

Once you’ve booked your service, you can expect to wait up to 6 weeks for your collection day. Often it will be significantly less.

You will be invited to present your waste on the kerbside just prior to your collection. 

How will people know my waste has been booked in, and not illegally dumped?

If Council introduces an at-call service, residents will be sent a written acknowledgement once they’ve booked their collection. This will contain a large, bright sticker that will clearly say ‘Booked hard waste collection’. This is to differentiate your waste from un-booked waste that has been illegally dumped.

Will my hard waste be recycled?

Yes, recycling is part of all 3 options being considered.

With option 1 (our current annual service), there is significant community recycling (salvage) before Council’s contractors collect the hard waste from the kerbside. Some of this is done at a commercial scale, with businesses driving systematically through the area during a scheduled collection looking for certain types of waste.

This is augmented by a separate recycling collection for televisions and computers, and a post-collection sorting process for other recyclable material that is collected as part of the kerbside hard waste collection.

With option 2 (an at-call service), while community salvage still occurs by people who routinely drive through your local area, there is likely to be less commercial-scale salvage of kerbside items before Council’s contractors arrive to pick it up. This is because it is more difficult for people to know where to go looking for the waste.

The post-collection sorting process is therefore even more important with this option, and yields more material for recycling. This may include, for example, scrap metal that may otherwise be salvaged at the kerbside in years where it has significant value.

With option 3, where dump vouchers are used, recyclable material is sorted and sent for recycling from the Beverley Recycling and Waste Centre.

A separate vehicle for televisions and computers is not typically part of an at-call collection service, so with options 2 and 3, these items will be directed to the Beverley Recycling and Waste Centre for drop-off.

What about old televisions and computers?

Electronic waste, including old televisions and computers, is banned from landfill across South Australia and must be recycled.

The City of Charles Sturt has accepted televisions and computers for recycling as part of its hard waste service for a number of years. They are collected without compaction to prevent damage, and sent to a company to be recycled under the terms of the National Recycling Scheme for TVs and Computers. That Scheme provides for the manufacturers and importers of televisions and computers to pay for their recycling at the end of their useful life.

While this arrangement has worked well and proven very convenient for Council and our community, the recyclers have expressed concern about the damage that is done to old TVs and computers while they wait at the kerbside for collection. This damage can significantly reduce their recyclability.

Council also has a free drop-off facility at the Beverley Recycling and Waste Centre, which is available 7 days a week and is also provided under the National Scheme. Residents can take their old TVs and computers there to be recycled all year round, without risk of damage that is associated with kerbside presentation.

Council is therefore considering removing televisions and computers from the hard waste service, and encouraging our residents to drop them off for recycling instead.

While a separate consultation process is being undertaken to inform that decision, and consider options for elderly or infirm residents, please feel free to leave a comment on this issue in your hard waste survey form. 

What if I live in a flat or apartment?

If Council moves to an at-call form of service, residents of flats and apartments in groups of 7 or more will be invited to arrange their hard waste services through their building managers.

You will have access to more collections during the year, due to the increased number of dwellings sharing in each collection. Depending on the size and needs of your site, you may typically have up to 12 at-call collections a year, on a shared basis.

If option 3 is ultimately selected by Council, you would also have the option to share dump vouchers to dispose of your hard waste, in lieu of one or more of your at-call collections.

What if there is limited verge space to present my hard waste for collection?

As with the current hard waste service, if you are concerned about available verge-space, give Council a call. A Council representative will work with you to identify a safe and suitable space nearby to present your waste, without obstructing the road or footpath.

If Option 3 is ultimately selected by Council, you will also have the option to take your hard waste to the Beverley Recycling and Waste Centre. This will allow you a free and convenient disposal option without requiring waste to be presented at the kerbside.

Can I get help moving my waste to the kerb?

Elderly and infirm residents that qualify for the Home and Community Care program are offered assistance with the hard waste service currently.

This will continue with all 3 service options being considered.

What if I don’t have a trailer but want to use a voucher?

If option 3 is selected, vouchers will be available for selection by any resident. You can use your own vehicle or trailer, or get help from a friend, family member or neighbour to bring your waste to the Beverley Recycling and Waste Centre, with your voucher. You will need to present your driver’s license with your voucher at the weighbridge, to prove you are a resident that is entitled to this free service.

While Council will not be providing loan or hire trailers for this purpose, private hire trailers are available at a range of locations within the City of Charles Sturt. Waste vouchers can also be used for loads carried in cars, vans or utes if preferred.

When will we know which option has been selected by Council?

Survey forms must be returned to Council no later than Friday 25 March 2016.

Results of the community consultation will be presented to Council for consideration in late April early May 2016.  

More information on the service option selected by Council, and the timing of its introduction, will be available in mid 2016. Residents will  be notified of Council’s decision through the Council website and Facebook page, our regular Messenger column, and by a range of other means. 

If any changes are made, when will they start?

Depending on the outcome of the community consultation the earliest timeframe for a new service to commence would be late 2016. A 2017 introduction is also a possibility.