Never been to a Council meeting and want to know how they are run?
For those who have never been to a Council meeting before - here is a quick overview of how meetings are generally run:
- Council meetings are held in the Chamber at the Civic Centre 72 Woodville Rd
- There is plenty of car parking out the back.
- The meeting starts at 7pm
- Council meetings are run formally and chaired by the Mayor
- Council staff, including the CEO, have non speaking roles and are not permitted to enter the debate (but may provide advice to Council Members when requested)
- Community members may sit in the gallery and quietly observe but are not permitted to enter debate
- Deputations from community members are welcomed but must be booked in advance
- Confirmation of Minutes, Deputations and Petitions will be considered by Council before the Business items (of which Coast Park Report is one)
- At the commencement of the Business items Elected Members will ‘star’ items they wish to discuss
- Any items not ‘starred’ by Elected Members will be adopted as per the recommendation in the report
When are Council meetings held?
Council meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month, (except January and December – in January 4th Monday only, in December 2nd Monday only).
Meetings are held in the Council Chamber at the Civic Centre, 72 Woodville Rd and start at 7.00 pm.
What is the role of Council?
Council is established to provide for the government and management of its area at the local level and, in particular:
- to act as a representative, informed and responsible decision-maker in the interests of its community; and
- to provide and co-ordinate various public services and facilities and to develop its community and resources in a socially just and ecologically sustainable manner; and
- to encourage and develop initiatives within its community for improving the quality of life of the community; and
- to represent the interests of its community to the wider community; and
- to exercise, perform and discharge the powers, functions and duties of local government under this and other Acts in relation to the area for which it is constituted. [s.6, LG Act 1999]
Who are our Council members?
Mayor - Ms Kirsten Alexander
Beverley Ward - Cr Edgar Agius OAM, JP & Cr Mick Harley OAM
Findon Ward - Cr Doriana Coppola & Cr Joe Ienco
Grange Ward - Cr Tom Scheffler & Cr Raelene Hanley
Henley Ward - Cr Jim Fitzpatrick & Cr Robert Randall JP
Hindmarsh Ward - Cr Paul Alexandrides & Cr Craig Auricht
Semaphore Park Ward - Cr Juliann Andriani & Cr Stuart Ghent JP
Woodville Ward - Cr Oanh Nguyen & Cr Robert Grant
West Woodville Ward - Cr Tolley Wasylenko JP & Cr Angela Keneally