Council consulted on the St Clair Precinct Masterplan between 2015 – 2017. Feedback received from this consultation process identified that there was a need for additional public toilets in the vicinity of the ovals located between St Clair and Brocas Avenues. The feedback also suggested benefit in including a servery structure and additional shelters, to service both the sporting groups and visitors to the precinct.
To address the feedback received, Council developed a proposal for two shelter structures and a combined public toilet and servery building, with the intention to provide toilets conveniently located for users of the ovals and for the community and visitors using the grounds and playground as well as complimenting other facilities to the east of the ovals.
Consultation was subsequently undertaken with local residents and stakeholders between 22 August 2019 and 13 September 2019 for the public toilet and servery proposal.Council received 138 submissions and the following is a summary of the main points raised by the community.
Those in support of the proposal suggested the following:
- Additional toilet facilities will support the use of the playground, community and family events and sporting club usage
- Toilet facilities will facilitate longer stays
- Additional toilets will allow younger children to better use the playground (due to the closer proximity)
- The proposed facilities will attract more families and visitors to the area
- Encourage community interaction
- Improved convenience
- Increased community use of outdoor public parks and areas
Those who opposed the proposal suggested the following:
- Public toilets attract undesirable and anti-social behaviour
- The building will be unsightly
- Litter will be increased
- Toilets should be consolidated with the existing changeroom building
- The consultation material was inadequate
- Facilities will encourage additional cars to the area
- Public toilets are needed more on Torrens Road (adjacent existing playground and dog park)
- No community benefit – will only benefit soccer
Council recognises there are conflicting views within our local community and other stakeholders who use the sporting grounds, and as such have decided to revise the proposal and re-consult
The consultation responses were presented to the Asset Management Committee on 18 November 2019, where the Committee resolved:
- That the report be received and noted.
- That a concept design for the shelter and servery and screen planting be prepared and further consultation be undertaken on that concept design.
To balance the differing views and find a solution that best meets the needs of our community, the proposal has been amended and the revised proposal is attached for your information and feedback.
The information includes
- Location Plan
- Landscaping plan
- Species lists
- Materials and finishes schedule
- Floor plan and elevations
The revised proposal:
- The toilets have been removed from the servery building and will be incorporated within the existing changeroom building (200 metres east). A total of seven public toilets will be available in this location (increase of five)
- Additional landscaping has been included to improve the visual appearance of the servery building when viewed from the residential properties adjacent to Brocas Avenue.
- One shelter structure has been relocated to the St Clair Avenue side of the oval to improve accessibility and to reduce the visual impact on the Brocas Avenue side of the oval.
We now invite your feedback before 5pm Friday 20 December 2019, please click here to complete the survey.
You are also invited to attend a drop in session will be held on Tuesday 10 December 2019 between 4.30pm and 6.30pm at the Civic Centre Building – 72 Woodville Road, Woodville.
Please contact Ms Kelly Mader on 8408 1208 or firstname.lastname@example.org of you wish to discuss any element of the proposal.