What are the advantages of having raised intersection treatments?
• Significant reduction in vehicle speeds at the treatment.
• Treatment spans the entire intersection (i.e. traffic is forced to slow on all 4 approaches) and highlights the presence of four-way intersections where extra driver caution is required.
• May discourage through traffic due to lower speeds and longer travel times.
• Likely to reduce the incidence and severity of intersection crashes.
• Manages potential impacts associated with traffic controls in Frederick Street and Welland Avenue.
What are the disadvantages of having raised intersections?
• May increase traffic noise at intersections associated with vehicles braking and accelerating.
• Increases travel time through the street (this may be regarded as a disadvantage by some locals).